[Nagiosplug-devel] [OT] Nagios plugins in use with UP.Time possibly?

AJ McKee aj.mckee at nmtbmedia.com
Wed Mar 10 16:21:06 CET 2004

>Sorry, I need to get this off my chest.
That's Okay.

>The first two have their own licences
>which basically say you can redistribute source or binary but you must
>include their licence, which Uptime have failed to do. Mysql is
>distributed under the GPL which Uptime are also violating.

I have informed MySQL AB already to seek clarification on it.

>I know that it is really Nagios because the
>executable contains various lines that are very Nagios specific such as

Yes I saw that too hence my original mail.

>This is a shame. They have some very interesting reporting graphs and
>performance information (I wonder how they do that?)

I suspect they have modified the source to accept its configurations
from a MySQL database and maybe the plugins as well. But most likley the
plugins pass their data back to a handler that then enters their data
into the database. Nice, I know there has been discussion on this before
and it is a nice feature. They are within their rights to protect the
PHP code they have written, which AFAICS is the largest part of their
own work. If I could figure out how they actually pass the data back to
the SQL server, then I would write my own frontend and GPL it out with
all the nice pretty graphs and all :)

>holders (the Nagios plugins team and Ethan Galstad) are the only ones
>empowered to act against violations,

Any support I can give then should the team decide to persue it, I will
offer.

Thanks Again
AJ